Friday, October 11, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

So I finally got around to reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower when I came across an excerpt on value and perspective less quoted among Pinterest users--the most famous one being, "Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve." For context, this is what protagonist's teacher says to him when he contemplates why his sister would date a boy that had once hit her hard across the face, a precursor to their relationship.  He's saying that maybe one of the reasons of why people would continue to stay in abusive or degrading relationships is because they have low self worth, so they find it appropriate to be treated as such.

But I digress.


"I want Sam to stop liking Craig.

Now, I guess maybe you think that's because I am jealous of him, I'm not.  It's just that Craig doesn't really listen to her when she talks.  I don't mean that he's a bad guy because he's not.  It's just that he always looks distracted.

It's like he would take a photograph of Sam, and the photograph would be beautiful.  And he would think that the reason the photograph was beautiful because of how he took it.  If I took it, I would know the only reason it's beautiful is because of Sam.

[...]

It's very hard for me to see Sam feel better about herself just because an older boy sees her that way." 



It's something interesting to think about.

Stephen Chbosky has a way of writing in a very light, yet profound, manner that is able to reach out to readers of all ages due to its simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment